All About Kids runs four childcare centres in the GTA and last year it was time to redesign their website. The former site was completely static HTML, hand-coded by myself as long ago as 2007. The sites narrow, small pages made it appear very dated. Now, I have created many websites for this client, but this one was extra special. This redesign would be a redo of the first project I ever worked on with her.
When I looked at the old site I would cringe, it had lived well past its prime. But my client still liked it! This is not uncommon, people grow attached, maybe a website can actually have sentimental value? It’s important to consider this when redesigning anything, if the client has positive feelings for the existing, customers will too. This doesn’t mean they don’t recognize that it’s old, infact I feel that older websites actually have a charm that the newer sites lack.
My job was to bring some of the warmth and charm from the old site into the new, but the new also needed to be clean, modern and trustworthy, with more room to communicate what they do and who they are. My client also wanted to be able to take job applications through the website, have a blog area with resources for parents, and send inquiries to the correct centre supervisors to alleviate some of their admin. And as should be the goal of any website – she wanted to increase conversions. The new site also needed to respect the existing SEO and then increase on it with more strategic keyword placement throughout copy and thoughtful structure changes to the site, and redirects where needed.
Since the redesigned websites launch website inquiries for tours and childcare spaces have increased by over 50%.
- Varied page layouts – different layouts that are customized to content
- Parent Resources section for news, kids activities, and lists for new parents (what to bring etc)
- Book a Tour Form with conditional logic to send to the correct supervisor
- Registration Form with conditional logic to send to the correct supervisor
- Careers section to post upcoming positions and accept applications
- Location pages with galleries for each centre
- Programs section to outline everything the centres offer
- Meal Plan section with sample menu
- Chat feature for online support
The site has numerous accommodations to make it appear just as user-friendly on desktop as it does on tablets and phones.
View the new site at: allaboutkids.ca
Have a question about how this site was built? Drop me a comment below…